Monday, April 2, 2007

14 Days 34 Outfits

Or is it 15 days 40 outfits? Whatever it is exactly, it's a lot!

I am Amanda Mujica the costume designer for "Nian." Today I had a fitting with Hyunsoo. He looked great dressed as both a "mamma's boy" and dressed by his Paris Hilton-wannabee girlfriend. And it was great to actually see an actor moving around in the clothes I've bought.

Whenever I tell people I'm a costume designer they almost always have the same reaction--that must be so much fun. And it is, but it is a lot of work! For "Nian" I am trying to age certain actors; make other actors look younger; make some look bigger; some taller; and get everyone in out of costumes quickly. So before I can buy any item I have to make sure it's easy to get in and out of; it's in the right color palette; it's right for the character's style and age... and the biggy, it's within my budget! So I have gone through this process what feels like a million times.

I have been working with Patrick Wang the director of "Nian" for many years. As a designer, it really helps to know a director well. He, I, and Paula Kelly, the makeup artist, have been talking about this show for a long time and I think we've made some great decisions about how the look of certain characters will change as the show progresses. For example, when is Vincent (Hyunsoo's character) dressing himself and when is his girlfriend choosing his clothes for him? And how does he have his
own look by the end of the show that is somewhere between the two? I know my costumes will be enhanced by the beautiful lighting of Nathanial Packard. Good lighting designers are every costumers' best friend.

I'll write again after I've finished fitting the rest of the cast.




Amanda March 30 2007

No comments: