Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Melissa Li -- now Award Winning also!

I had had an inkling of what I was going to say when I was in the shower last Wednesday morning. But then 24 hours later, when I was on that stage accepting the award, I found myself shaking when I realized I was standing there alone. Abe was waiting by the stage for me to speak first.

What was I going to say? I wanted to be sincere, and I wanted to say all the things I had planned to say, but I also wanted to make it short and sweet.

I remember I thanked the foundation, then Abe, then my mother, and then my cousins. I remember trying extraordinarily hard not to cry - from being nervous and touched at the same time - or not to be distracted by the reverb of my voice in the room. I just remember thinking here's my chance to show Abe how much he's meant to me these last 4 years, and thinking here's my chance to show my mother and my family how their presence also meant the world to me. I don't know if I succeeded, but I was glad that I at least got a chance to say a few words acknowledging them in my first award speech ever.

Abe was charming on stage, as always. I knew he had practiced his punchlines in advance but they were great nonetheless. I'm glad he let me go first because it's always hard following Abe. I kind of wish the afternoon never ended. I'd never imagine that things would work out so well between me and my mother.




Melissa Feb 19

No comments: