Monday, February 19, 2007

Survivng the Nian -- Now Award Winning!

So, now we should do that thing where every time we mention this show we say “award-winning musical Surviving the Nian!” Why? Because Melissa and I (Abe) trekked through the blizzard to Manhattan, where we were awarded the 2007 Jonathan Larson Musical Theater Award! I was so overcome with emotion and pride, I bet I gave Melissa a dozen new reasons to be embarrassed for me!

My Big Love Roberto was there with us, as were my super-talented cousin Alex and one of our Board members, Bill Kelly. Also, Melissa’s Mom and two cousins were there, but I’ll let her give you the dirt on that.

Roberto and I arrived in time to celebrate Valentine’s Day on 2/14. We stayed at the fabulously fun and funky Gershwin Hotel, had a massive Japanese Valentine’s dinner, then we saw Wicked. Stephen Schwartz who wrote the songs for Wicked was on the panel that chose us for the award and I’d always wanted to see the show. Hell, basically everything I’ve ever written can be boiled down to The Wizard of Oz! It was unbelievably spectacular!

The next morning we went to the posh 21 Club for the awards luncheon. Tony Corey had done an extreme wardrobe makeover on me, so I don’t think I embarrassed anyone with my outfit. Wait! What am I talking about!? I was
wearing a necklace and earrings bigger than most chandeliers! The maitre d’ appeared quite shocked. I guess he’s not used to seeing jewelry that glamorous during the daytime.

Anyways, when they announced the award, Julie Larson, Jonathan’s sister, said such lovely, great things about Surviving the Nian. She said that plowing through hundreds of musicals to choose this award, they can all blend together and seem the same, but that this year there was one that stood out as completely unique in it’s songs and story, Surviving the Nian!
My heart shot up into my throat when I realized she was talking about US!

Melissa made a beautiful and gracious acceptance speech and I talked trash as usual. People kept reminding us that this meant lots of producers in New York and around the country will be interested in Surviving the Nian! But our friends in Boston get to see it first!




Abe Feb 18

No comments: